After 30 years in Clovis, Pelco by Schneider Electric announced it will be relocating to Fresno in September.
Written by Gabriel Dillard
Pelco by Schneider Electric, one of Clovis’s best known businesses, is moving some of its operations to Fresno later this year.
The French-owned security and surveillance manufacturing firm, which has been steadily downsizing in recent years, announced it would be relocating personnel to a “new state-of-the-art facility” in Fresno in September. The facility is located at the Palm Bluff Circle office complex on West Alluvial Avenue in northwest Fresno, according to Mark Standriff, director of communications and public affairs with the City of Fresno.
Standriff added that the company was granted permits in late March to renovate the space at 625 W. Alluvial Ave.
Personnel relocating to the new facility will include engineering, support, marketing and the executive team, which will be working with personnel at Pelco’s distribution center in the Southern California town of Chino.
Last month, ABC 30 reported Pelco’s plans to shut down its video production line and lay off about 200 employees by the end of the year.
The business originally traces its roots to Hawthorne, California in 1957, when it was known as Pelco Sales. It eventually relocated to Fresno, and it was in 1987 that local businessman David McDonald and a team of investors purchased Pelco and moved it to an 80,000 square-foot facility in Clovis.
At its peak, the firm employed about 2,000 people. Today, that number is closer to 900, according to ABC 30.
In 2007, the firm was sold to French multinational corporation Schneider Electric.