KATHLEEN RONAYNE- Associated Press">
high-speed rail

Rendering via the California High Speed Rail Authority

published on May 21, 2019 - 10:57 AM
Written by

(AP) — California has sued to block the administration of President Donald Trump from cancelling nearly $1 billion for the state’s high-speed rail project.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday comes after the administration revoked the funding last week.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has called the move illegal and says it’s political retribution for California’s resistance to Trump’s immigration policies.

The state also plans to file for a temporary restraining order blocking the administration from awarding the money to another project.

The $929 million comes with the requirement that California complete a 119-mile (192-kilometer) segment of track in the state’s Central Valley agricultural heartland and environmental work on the entire line by 2022.

The Federal Railroad Administration says California can’t meet that deadline.

The state ultimately hopes to link Los Angeles and San Francisco.


e-Newsletter Signup

Our weekly poll

Are you in favor of a global minimum corporate tax?

Loading ... Loading ...

Central Valley Biz Blogs

Popup
shares

3/5

Article views

remaining

Sign up icon

To continue website access to

TheBusinessJournal.com

please create a FREE account OR login here.

1/5

Article views

remaining

SKIP THE POP-UPS
For only $59 for one 1-year you will receive the Print edition along with EVERYTHING The Business Journal has to offer digitally, PLUS you will have unlimited 24- hour a day access to view articles at

TheBusinessJournal.com

Use Promo Code

*New Subscribers Only

Digital and Print

XX Days Remaining

until you can view 5 more free articles

Sign up icon

Want access? Subscribe now & save $20 OFF.

Use Promo Code

WEBSUB20

* NEW SUBSCRIBERS ONLY