Written by The Business Journal Staff
In a statement, Hanson said the decision to leave the fourth largest district in the state came after “much deliberation, deep reflection and consultation with my family.”
He did not reveal if he has any other jobs are lined up, but he said he plans to continue in the field of education.
Hanson has been dogged for much of the last year by a federal investigation of Fresno Unified’s use of no-bid construction contracts.
Hanson, who will host a morning press conference on Tuesday to address the media, highlighted a number of milestones in his term, including turning the district around from the brink of state takeover to a “balanced, sound budget,” shepherding facilities enhancement and building seven new schools, and building partnerships with entities including the City of Fresno, health care providers, Fresno Housing Authority and the county of Fresno, among others.
“I am grateful for having had the opportunity and honor to serve the children and parents of Fresno Unified,” he said. “This decision did not come easy, but I am confident that we have created a solid foundation for the next leader of this amazing district.”